TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour | SERVES: 6-8 | PRINT RECIPE
For the cake:
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the trifle:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pints blueberries
- 1 pint blackberries
- ½ cup raw honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- ¼ cup almond liqueur
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Bake the cake first. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter the inside of a deep 2 1/2 qt. baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and butter together until the butter melts. Remove from heat and let cool. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat the eggs until thoroughly combined. Add salt and beat until foamy. Beat in coconut sugar and vanilla until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until thoroughly incorporated. Add the milk and butter and mix to combine. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until the center is cooked. Let cool, then break the cake into large chunks and set aside. Wipe the baking dish clean.
- Next, prepare the trifle ingredients. While the cake is baking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the berries, honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond liqueur. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour the berry compote into a glass bowl to chill in the refrigerator.
- Whip cream and remaining teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form. Lightly toast the almonds in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Place one layer of cake crumbles in the bottom of the baking dish. Add a layer of berries and a layer of whipped cream. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Garnish with toasted almonds.